There is no doubt that dabbing is an enormously rewarding hobby. The enjoyment of what concentrates can offer in terms of potency and flavor can be equal to that of trying out the latest equipment and accessories that allow us to experience the art of dabbing in unique ways. As the industry continues to evolve, more devices and accessories are hitting the scene to satisfy our needs, and one fairly recent addition is the dab mat.
What is a Dab Mat, and What is It Used For?
One thing that almost anyone new to dabbing notices right off the bat is that, while it does not ultimately interfere with the satisfaction that comes from vaporizing concentrates, the act of dabbing can be a bit, well, messy. Dabs are, by nature, messier than flower and oils, being sticky concentrates that require a bit of finesse to work with. Still, a lot of dabbers find that it can get a bit annoying cleaning the surface where the dab rig is seated, as this is where you’ll end up with debris and, often, water.
- A dab mat’s key feature is its ability to keep the surface clean, as we know that some of that concentrate tends to fall off the nail and get onto your favorite table, which can be a pain.
- Stabilizes your dab rig, as silicone has a great grip that can prevent your precious rig from tipping over and breaking, or at the very least, spilling your concentrate and your water everywhere.
- Acts like a coaster. In some instances, the water inside your dab rig can be cool to the point that it could leave a ring on a wooden surface. A dab mat simply eliminates this issue altogether.
- Because a dab mat is made of silicone, you do not have to worry about what will happen if the surface of the rig gets too hot, or if super-hot concentrates fall onto it. Silicone is a material that can withstand heat up to 600 degrees, which is why it is so commonly used to produce dabbing pieces themselves.
- Dab mats are amazingly easy to clean because silicone is smooth and non-porous, meaning, you can just run it under water and use a little bit of soap.
What are the Different Kinds of Dab Mats Out There?
Choose a shape, size and design that speaks to you, and enjoy the many benefits that they can offer.
Dab mats come in all kinds of sizes, and the main thing to be sure of is that your dab mat can at least extend about 2 inches outside of the dimensions of your actual rig, so that it can catch any spills. You can find big and small dab mats, including ones that are large enough to cover most of your surface. Larger ones have the advantage of catching more potential debris.
Dab rigs can be round, rectangular, or square, and there is no objective advantage of one shape over the others. It really comes down to your aesthetic preferences.
This is the fun part. Companies that make dab mats get really creative and offer all kinds of designs from which you can choose, including psychedelic designs, and even images of your favorite cartoon characters.
Dab mats can have different thickness levels, within reason, and the thicker it is, the more protective it is.
Is a Dab Mat Worth it?
We know, we know – the sheer number of accessories coming out of the dabbing industry can be hard to keep up with, and sometimes we might think that a trendy accessory has no real value to our dabbing experience. But, dab mats are different. They are extremely practical products that address specific complaints that dabbers often have. So, that being said, we think that a dab mat is certainly worth buying regardless of whether you dab occasionally or do so on a daily basis.
Need More convincing?
Here are the advantages of having a dab mat, so that you can go over each one and understand how it can enhance your overall dabbing hobby.
Advantage #1: Stabilizing
Dab mats serve an especially important purpose of keeping your dab rig more stable so that it’s far less likely to tip over. This can save you a lot of money in the long run by preventing you from breaking your device.
Advantage #2: Shock-absorbent
Silicone is a shock-absorbent material which means that if you unintentionally slam your piece down too hard, it’s less likely to break as a result.
Advantage #3: Visually Pleasing
When you pick out a dab mat with a design that resonates with you, the entire act of dabbing can be more visually pleasing.
Advantage #4: Prevents Damage to Your Surfaces
A dab mat protects the surface onto which you’re placing your rig, especially if that surface is wood, because wood tends to get scratched up easier than a metal surface.
Advantage #5: Easy to Clean
Silicone dab mats clean very easily due to their nonporous and dishwasher-safe nature.
Advantage #6: Catches Debris and the Occasional Water Spill
A dab mat will prevent concentrate debris and water from getting onto your favorite table, which can be annoying to clean up.
Advantage #7: Inexpensive
Dab mats are extremely inexpensive, so buying one isn’t going to be a big investment. Plus, SiliconeBong.com has a nice selection of dab mats to choose from, all at very affordable prices.